What is the average lifespan of a goldfish?
People that buy goldfish often have no idea that goldfish can live to be very old. A goldfish can live to be a lot older than a dog or a cat. In the wild, goldfish can even live to be 40 years old. If you have them at home in a fishbowl and take good care of them, then they will live, on average, to be between 5 and 15 years old. But there are also examples of goldfish that have lived to be a lot older. Still, there are a lot of people that do not take proper care of their goldfish, causing the actual average to be between 5 and 10 years old.
How old was the oldest goldfish ever?
The oldest goldfish ever lived in England. The name of the goldfish was Tish and this goldfish lived to be a whopping 43 years old. This goldfish even got a mention in the Guiness Book of Records as the oldest goldfish in the world. Tish died in 1999 of old age.
How can you make sure a goldfish reaches a certain age?
If you want to your goldfish for a long time and want to make sure that he lives to be very old, there are a number of things you can do:
- Never feed goldfish too much food. A maximum of two small meals a day.
- Vary the food regularly with, for example, artemia, worms or mosquito larvae.
- Make sure there is enough oxygen in the water. Buy a big fishbowl with oxygen plants.
- Clean the water regularly. About three times a month.
Where do you have to pay attention to if you want to buy a goldfish?
When you are buying goldfish you obviously want them to grow old, so that you can enjoy them for a long time. When buying goldfish pay attention to the following:
- Is the goldfish lively? Does he swim back and forth enough?.
- The goldfish does not have any strange wounds.
- The goldfish has nice, lively colours.